Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My Last Week

I am officially done with my first student teaching placement - wow that is weird to say. Although it was extremely bittersweet, I had an excellent last week with my students. My teacher asked me to plan a five day unit based around the book, A Very Hungry Caterpillar for my last week that is what my afternoons consisted of. I did a variety of different activities to help understand many different concepts; for example, sequencing, word recognition, math, and best of all ART. Besides the unit, my week was busy with all of the other things we accomplish during the school day. During the week, we had something called a Kaley - all of the girls gathered in the hall and performed Irish dancing. It was fun to see the girls show off what they knew, and I could tell everyone was having fun. I also did a little irish dancing :) Although the week was busy, I could not stop thinking about how sad I was going to be having to leave on Friday. The week was also busy with practicing for the St. Patrick's day parade. There was so much preparation put into the parade so we wanted the girls to practice what marching in a parade was going to be like. They did a great job :) Not only was Friday my last day at school, but it was also green day - aka the girls did not have to wear their uniforms and everyone in the school dressed in ALL green! Of course I didn't bring any green so my teacher took me to Tralee to buy some green. We both found loads of cute things so we were all set for green day. We also had a nice dinner together after shopping - I am really going to miss spending time with her! She is so lovely. Friday finally came, and I was a wreck. I did not think I would be as emotional as I was. I gave the kids some little gift bags and explained to them that I would not be coming back (which is a hard concept for junior's to understand). It was a really grand last day. Once the day was over I said my goodbyes to my host family, and the staff memebers. I am so thankful for all of their kindness throughout this entire process. I am really going to miss them all so much.

Overall, I had the greatest experiences for which I could have ever asked. I couldn't have dreamed up a better situation. Looking back on the goals that I set for my experience, I would say that I have fully accomplished those goals. It's amazing to see how much you grow in a short amount of time. I am so proud of myself for taking a leap and grasping this experience while I can. It has taught me so much, and while everyday wasn't the easiest I think I have truly grown from what I have learned throughout this process. I am so thankful for all the people in my life who have helped me get to this point. For my final blog I will leave you with some pictures of my last week :)

dancing 

dancing

dancing

green day

green day - my class!

green day

green day

green day

green day

No comments:

Post a Comment