Monday, January 28, 2013

Being Brave

It absolutely blows my mind that I am starting my fourth week of student teaching. The time is flying by and I am doing my best to savor every moment. My week last week was a bit of a challenge. I am teaching almost full time, which comes with a lot of responsibility and A LOT of classroom management. One of the most challenging parts of this experience is getting the students to see me as a teacher, rather than just someone who is there to help out. With that, the first part of the week was very challenging, but as the week went on I started to really gain control. I am feeling much more confident, and I think the students are starting to see me as one of their teachers. Beyond that it was a crazy week as we are preparing for grandparents days, (Thursday) and trying to accomplish the loads of other things. The students finished up all of their art work, and it is now displayed in the gym! We have also been practicing our grandparents day songs. The students are getting really excited; everything is coming together nicely. Everything at school is going really well so hopefully it continues. I am preparing some fun activities for this upcoming week to help reinforce major concepts (numbers, letters, writing etc.)
This weekend I decided to be brave and go on my first trip all by myself. I took the bus to Killarney and spent the night in a hostel. Other than missing my bus on the way there I made it there smoothly - just an hour later than I expected. My hope was that I would do the Ring of Kerry tour, BUT the weather did not allow. I did some shopping instead and enjoyed the town. I was extremely proud of myself for making it there and taking the first big step in traveling. Overall I am leaving this week feeling really confident. In teaching and life in general. I am challenging that positive energy into all aspects of my life! All smiles here :)

Pattern Game from last week

more grandparents day projects

my first hostel experience

2 comments:

  1. One trip down & many to come...You go Katie !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I wrote 2 comments. They both got eaten and are flying in cyberspace!!!!! Don't have it in me to do them again. Just glad your all smiles.
    I suppose you'll get this one!! ARRRGGGHHHH

    ReplyDelete